Protect Your Modules
Honeywell’s third-generation PowerShield photovoltaic (PV) backing system, PowerShield 3W, is a high-performance, cost-effective film that offers superior durability properties when compared to previous PowerShield versions and competitive products.
And, like all PowerShield systems, PowerShield 3W is compatible with a wide range of encapsulants.
PowerShield 3W offers an optimized, cost-effective and durable multi-layer structure providing 1000+ VDC (IEC 60664-1) system working voltage performance (IEC 60664-1):
- 1 outer protective layer of proprietary, weather- and chemical-resistant fluoropolymer barrier film formulated and produced by Honeywell
- 1 core dielectric layer selected for intended system working voltage, low shrinkage and resistance to electrical breakdown, embrittlement and discoloration in outdoor exposure
- 2 inner-layer bonds provided via a proprietary hydrolytically-stable adhesive
- 1 outer reflective and UV-durable thermoplastic layer to bond to module encapsulants
Honeywell PowerShield 3W includes a new proprietary adhesive that was specifically designed for improved performance and confidence in PV applications. Independent photovoltaics-industry laboratory tests show that PowerShield 3W can withstand more than 3,000 hours of exposure at an 85°C (185°F) temperature and 85 percent relative humidity without delaminating.
To learn more about PowerShield’s durability properties versus competitive products, visit the Technology Leadership section.
PowerShield 3W is specifically designed to protect modules. It helps them perform over their 25-year lifetime. PowerShield 3W offers:
- High resistance to environmental degradation from sunlight, heat, cold and humidity
- Strong resistance to acids, bases, solvents, salts and other chemicals
- Resistance to excessive moisture infiltration
The superior, proprietary adhesive within PowerShield 3W also offers excellent resistance to yellowing to maintain the appearance and reflectivity of solar modules over their 25-year lifespan.
To learn more about PowerShield’s ability to protect modules versus competitive products, visit the Technology Leadership section.
Not All Backsheets Are Equal
Honeywell commissioned independent laboratories to study the differences between various backsheet constructions, including PVF-based, other fluorine film-based, and non-fluorine film-based technologies.
As part of the study, all backsheets were obtained via commercial channels. This test program included both direct backsheet sample testing as well as full-size module testing.
- Full-size modules (240Wp) were utilized for this testing
- All modules were built at the same fabrication shop
- All modules were built under the same standard conditions
- All modules were built using the same cells*, but with different backsheets available in the marketplace**
- Specified module tests were generally conducted by 3rd party test-houses (PI Berlin/TUV Rheinland/Trace Labs) using test methods described in standards such as IEC 61215 ed.2 & IEC 61730-1 as applicable
- Additional data on the samples were generated through in-house testing and observations using methods that are generally accepted in the market.
The combined results show that overall, PowerShield 3W:
- Offers the best safety performance
- Is the least yellowing
- Maintains highest adhesion after 3000 hours
- Offers very high UV resistance
- Offers significantly low shrinkage in both directions
Not all backsheets perform equally, even when they are made with the same or similar chemistries
- 1-sided flouropolymer backsheets can often provide performance similar to 2-sided fluoropolymer backsheets in key areas
- Even between backsheets of the same fluoropolymer chemistry, there were significant variations in color change/adhesive yellowing and damp heat adhesion
- Within non-fluoropolymer backsheets, variations existed across all tests
- The manufacturer of the backsheet can significantly influence the backsheet’s performance
For more details about the results of our study, please contact us.
* Selected cell was commonly available in the marketplace
**We acknowledge that module makers have discretion in designing and choosing materials. This study was designed to hold all factors constant except for the backsheet
While Honeywell International Inc. believes that the information presented herein is accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind to the reliability of this data as incorporated into any specific product design. A number of factors may affect performance of any specific photovoltaic module, such as design, components, construction and manufacturing conditions, all of which must be taken into account by the customer in manufacturing its product. Information provided herein does not relieve the user from the responsibility of carrying out its own tests and experiments and the user assumes all risks and liability (including, but not limited to, risks relating to results, performance, patent infringements and health, safety and environment) for the results obtained by the use of this information.